There’s a tremendous amount of confusion about omega-3 oils and removing the confusion is the purpose of this post.
Fish Oil really started the omega-3 market and is an amazing supplement, and the research on the benefits of animal-based omega-3 fats (DHA and EPA) show it to be outstanding.
Fish oils are typically extracted from menhaden, sardines, and herring; fish that are generally not consumed by the average person. These types of fish are indeed very high in EPA and DHA, and the health benefits of these fats are well established.
Health Benefits of Omega-3 Fat
In fact, most of the health benefits associated with omega-3 fats are linked to animal-based omega-3 fats like EPA and DHA, not plant-based omega-3 fats like ALA.
Even the US FDA, which denies most nutritional claims, acknowledges the cardiovascular benefits of animal based omega-3 fats:
- Antiarrhythmic: counteracting or preventing cardiac arrhythmia
- Antithrombotic: tending to prevent thrombosis (a blood clot within a blood vessel)
- Antiatherosclerotic: preventing fatty deposits and fibrosis of the inner layer of your arteries from forming
- Anti-inflammatory: counteracting inflammation (heat, pain, swelling, etc.)
- Improves endothelial function: a major factor in promoting the growth of new blood vessels
- Lowers blood pressure
- Lowers triglyceride concentrations
Researchers are also attributing a number of other health benefits to omega-3 fat, including:
- Healthier, stronger bones
- Protecting your tissues and organs from inflammation
- Improved mood regulation
- Brain and eye development in babies
- Reduced risk of Parkinson’s disease
- Reduced risk of Alzheimer’s disease
- Reduced risk of death from ALL causes
Unfortunately, the majority of people who take supplemental omega-3 to protect and improve their health are taking the wrong fish oil.
I say unfortunately, because as you will find out, at least 25 percent and maybe even as much as half of the fish oil on the market are damaged products that can do more harm than good…
Why Any Fish Oil Isn’t Your Ideal Choice for Omega-3s
Yes, despite all the established health benefits of animal-based omega-3 fats, any fish oil is actually NOT the ideal source of these fats.
The primary drawback with fish oil is the problem with oxidation, which can occur at any point during the processing, or after you open the bottle. Dr. Moerck explains:
“There are a number of ways in which fish oil can be processed. One is by just simply squeezing the fish — in some cases with cod liver oil to actually remove the livers from the cod — and then remove the oil from those by classical mechanical techniques.
In some cases, to get the last few ounces of oil out of the fish, they use solvents, or they use fish oil as a solvent by taking fish oil that’s already been processed, using it as an extraction method to get more fish oil out.
Every time fish oil is subjected to contact with oxygen, however, it starts going rancid. It starts oxidizing.”
Omega-3 Fats are Incredibly Fragile
Omega-3 fats are extremely fragile and are VERY easily damaged by oxygen. This is true for ALL omega-3 sources, whether animal-based or plant-based.
This is where Nutri-West’s oil stands out.
The processing, the bottle, the purification process are all first rate.
Typical Fish Oils Contain Higher Amounts of Contamination
Another primary concern that is not widely recognized is that many of the fish oils on the market are contaminated with relatively large amounts of metals and toxic chemicals. And not just heavy metals. In fact, toxins like mercury are typically screened for, at least in higher quality brands.
But there are other contaminations that are more unlikely to be identified or removed.
Some of the most common contaminants found in fish, aside from mercury, include:
- Radioactive substances like strontium
- Toxic metals such as cadmium, lead, chromium and arsenic
If you’ve been in or around my practice for any length of time you know that I’m a huge supporter and user of Nutri-West’s fish oil and co-factors.
And some of the specific reasons for Nutri-West are:
- Nutri-West manufacturing is run and governed under the rules of the Federal GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice Act) and is inspected at regular intervals by the Food and Drug Administration.
- The Wyoming FDA uses the Nutri-West GMP book as the standard for the Wyoming FDA Good Manufacturing Practice Manual.
- Nutri-West has a new, state-of-the-art manufacturing facility with ultra-modern processing and manufacturing equipment.
If I can be of additional assistance regarding fish oil contact my office at (702) 565-7474 or go to www.nevadachiro.com.